Skip to main content

How to Plan an Effective Day Off

Good Morning Friends!

Today’s topic probably sounds a bit oxymoronic. Planning a day off? Isn’t that kind of counterintuitive. You see, some could probably argue beautifully that the entire point of a day off is to be, well, off. And I completely agree. But if you are anything like me - and by the fact alone that you are reading this blog, I have evidence of that- then days off are actually stressful. Right now, we are in this unique situation called the COVID-19 pandemic. And as such, many of us in the US are experiencing shelter-in-place or stay at home mandates, giving us, at least, lots more free time than we used to have. For some, this mandate has given whole days off, and while one day or even a weekend is a welcome change from the shuffle of the work week, this is over-the-top stressful. What am I supposed to do with a week or two of days off?

Okay, so let me make a disclaimer. Yes, as of right now, I am discussing those compounded days off we are having during this very unique time. However, it is just as relevant to plan your normal days off.

So, here’s what we will do.
1- Why do I need a schedule?
2- How to schedule when there is nothing to schedule.
3- How to schedule normal days off when this craziness is over.

Why do I need a schedule?

I’m glad you asked. Have you found yourself lately getting up later, having a meaningless binge session on the couch all day, only to go to bed late that night. Guess what, you just wasted an entire day. Even if your case is not that extreme, here is my dilemma. THERE IS NOTHING TO PLAN! I found myself waking up 2 hours later than usual, sitting on the couch trying to engage my normal morning routine with absolutely no motivation. Seriously, do you know how hard it is to write a daily journal entry when absolutely nothing happened?!?! It would take me another couple of hours to extricate myself from the bonds of the cozy couch blankets just to get dressed and eat something. I found myself with zero motivation and eating garbage. I was that picture of Reese Witherspoon on Legally Blonde right after she was dumped at the beginning of the movie. But, again, how do you plan when there is nothing to plan?

Challenge accepted! I wracked my brain for all those things I said I would do when I had time and made a list. Now a lot of mine involve reading and blogging and writing history papers, but they also involved getting in shape. What a great opportunity to really focus on my fitness and my diet?!?! I then wrote a daily schedule. This starts with my morning routine, gives me plenty of time to do my workouts, places any chores that need to be done in an intentional place, and includes any work I need to do. I do not include times on this schedule, and I decided that I was not going to fight the sleep battle. I actually have an opportunity to wake up at 7, so I chose to indulge a little. In the last week, since I started doing this, my sanity has improved significantly. I have fewer emotional breakdowns, I feel a sense of purpose and motivation, and I actually find myself in a place of gratitude for this much needed time off.

Now, that works great for the unique time we are in, but why the heck would I plan an ordinary day off? Honestly, for the exact same reason. So often, we are just unintentional with that day. Thus, we end up captured by whatever distraction first grabs our attention. Welcome to Netflix binge days. Instead, if you semi-scheduled your day, you might have a day that includes a walk in the park and maybe a coffee date. Include a nice hot bath and some time to yourself, maybe to read or just think. Break out the board games and bond as a family. There are so many better ways to spend that one day a week than scrolling social media or binging tv shows. (Now there is nothing wrong with including one or two episodes of your favorite show on your schedule. I recommend this at the end of the day so you don’t get sucked in.)

How do I schedule when there is nothing to schedule?

Schedule EVERYTHING!

Write down when you’ll do the laundry and when you’ll walk the dog. Write down what time meals are and the time you spend working out. Write down reading time and work time. Write down school assignments if you have them- work assignments if you have them. Plan a family vacation. Make an evening ritual with your spouse. My hubby and I like to drink tea and eat popcorn and watch an episode of Criminal Minds. Write down when you’ll shower and when you’ll take care of the kids.

If it sounds completely anal, I guess it is a little. But, in times where no one else is dictating your schedule to you, you have to take charge and make every minute of your day count. What do you want to be able to say after this craziness is over? You watch 45 seasons of random TV shows on Netflix, or you actually did all those things you said you wanted to do when you had time? It’s your life. It’s your choice.

How do I schedule normal days off?

Once this craziness is over, I still recommend scheduling out your days off. Why? Because you’ll get sucked in to the first distraction of the day if you are not intentional with it. For some of you, the thought of what to schedule is daunting. So, here’s a good first step. Close your eyes and imagine your perfect day off. What are you doing? Who are you with?

For me, that perfect day looks like this:
I get up a little later than usual (7am or so). I get my coffee and engage in my normal morning routine. I do my foreign language lesson, read my Bible, and write in my journal. Then my husband wakes up and we cuddle on the couch for a while. Once we are both hungry, we throw on some clothes and make breakfast- usually something fun like pancakes and turkey sausage. Then we go for a walk with a cup of hot green tea, and we take the dog. We might sit on the porch and talk. At some point, I like to take a bath- not a shower- a bath, while Daniel gets some alone time. Then we may read or play a game or watch a couple episodes of something. Saturdays are our days of rest, so we do as little cooking as possible beyond breakfast. Dinner is literally meatballs and popcorn. The most important factor in our days off is spending quality time together (my love language), so we work hard to capitalize on time off.

You have to decide what is most important to you and make it happen. You can rule the day, or the day can rule you. You have to make that decision for yourself, and you have to act on it. Don’t let that one day a week slip away watching TV and scrolling Instagram. Be intentional with it. I leave you with that challenge.

Until next week,

Mrs. Ashley Seguin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Ways to Organize for Moving

Good morning Friends! As we speak I am taking a brief break from unpacking endless moving boxes.  Such fun! Sarcasm aside, it got me thinking that keeping your moving organized would be a fantastic blog topic. So, without further ado, here are my 5 Ideas for staying organized while moving. Idea #1: Keep a manifest (like an inventory log) When my family moved from North Carolina to Idaho (long story), we labeled all of our boxes with a number. In a notebook, we wrote down what was in Box #1, then Box #2, then Box #3, etc. You could also wait to number the boxes until after you have determined which are the most essential to the most non-essential, and then use the numbers as a rank-order system. Personally, unless you’re trekking across the country in a 20 year old, salt-eaten Ford Expedition toting a 6x10 trailer with ALL your family’s belongings (like I said, long story), then I think this method is a little TOO organized. And that is coming from someone who writes blogs about

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving over a hot stov

Museum or Landfill: The science behind clutter

Good morning Friends! Today I want to talk about getting rid of clutter: the why and the ever-so practical how. Why should I get rid of clutter. Psychology Today poses 4 reasons to get rid of clutter. 1. Your Home feels like your enemy. Your home is supposed to feel like a refuge. It should be a place where you can relax and unwind. Clutter absolutely destroys that feeling in your home. I know from personal experience that a cluttered house is stressful. Home was yet another load on the to do list, rather than a place to go to escape the chaos of the world. Having a clutter-free or at least a low-clutter home will contribute to your peace of mind. 2. It can kill your diet. If nothing else gets you, this one should. I know so many people set a New Years Resolution to date healthy and then in a moment of weakness at the grocery store, grab that bag of half price candy from the holidays. I am not innocent of this by any means. But a study at Cornell University showed that peo