Skip to main content

Simple Ways to Organize for Moving

Good morning Friends! As we speak I am taking a brief break from unpacking endless moving boxes.  Such fun! Sarcasm aside, it got me thinking that keeping your moving organized would be a fantastic blog topic. So, without further ado, here are my 5 Ideas for staying organized while moving.

Idea #1: Keep a manifest (like an inventory log)

When my family moved from North Carolina to Idaho (long story), we labeled all of our boxes with a number. In a notebook, we wrote down what was in Box #1, then Box #2, then Box #3, etc. You could also wait to number the boxes until after you have determined which are the most essential to the most non-essential, and then use the numbers as a rank-order system.

Personally, unless you’re trekking across the country in a 20 year old, salt-eaten Ford Expedition toting a 6x10 trailer with ALL your family’s belongings (like I said, long story), then I think this method is a little TOO organized. And that is coming from someone who writes blogs about being organized! It’s also a TON of work, and most of the times that I have had to move have had to be in really short time windows. So, there is a situation in which this method is superb, but I give this one 3 stars.

Idea #2: Color Code!

Yes, I know this one sounds complicated, but it’s really not. Grab some of those 1,000 for a $1 colored dot stickers at Walmart and go to town.

  • Green dots = Absolute essentials = open 2nd
    •  silverware
    • dishes
    • sheets
    • towels
    • clothes
    • Cleaning chemicals
    • Etc.
  • Yellow dots = Mid-level essentials = open 3rd
    •  Extra kitchen stuff
    • Desk or home office
    • Possibly books
    • Electronics
    • Family games
    • Etc. 
  • Red Dots = If you never opened these boxes it would be okay = open LAST
    • Trinkets and decor
    • The crap from the attic
    • Books you’ll never read
    • Junk from random places in your house
    • That last box you kinda threw together with all the leftover stuff in the house
    • Honestly, you could probably do better giving some of these boxes to charity and taking the tax write off.
  • Blue Dots = Essentials with a time stamp = Open 1st
    • Food (specifically from the fridge, but possibly the pantry)
    • Suitcase with your clothes for the next few days
    • Shower stuff
    • Bathroom stuff
    • Necessities and the kind of stuff you take on vacation
Personally, I have never used this method, but I have heard it from seasoned movers, and it seems to work well for them. So, as I am basing this rating on theory alone, I would have to give this one 4 stars.

Idea #3: One room at a time

This idea begins with an assumption that 1) you aren’t moving too far, and 2) you have some time. If you have a single day to pack and move everything, this is not the method for you. But if your lease on your apartment expires in a month and you’d like a nice calm, slow moving experience, this is fantastic. 

I love this moving method, mainly because I get to see whole spaces transformed pretty quickly. The methodology is to pack the kitchen for example, which will use 10-15 boxes. Then you load those 10-15 boxes into the car and move them to the new house, then you unpack them and bring the empty boxes back to be reused. This method is great for saving money on moving boxes and on a moving truck. It’s totally doable and pretty easy to handle. You may end up eating off paper plates for a week, but its not that big of a deal. This idea gets another 4 out of 5 in my book. 

Idea #4: Moving Day

Things to Purchase
  • Black Permanent Marker
  • Packing Tape
  • Lots of Boxes
  • Pizza
No one said you had to do moving alone. Pick a day and announce the event on Facebook. Depending on how many people show up, you may need to exercise some managerial skills. Have your strongest dudes move the furniture first, my advice. Then start spreading out boxes and filling them. I might employ the color dot system here. The trick is not to leave a room until the entirety is packed. I know this is hard, but trust me, you will otherwise flit from room to room picking up and packing a few things here and there but not actually accomplishing anything. Label the box simply with the room it came out of and deposit it in that equivalent room at the new house. Also, feed your people, whether it be pizza or something else. That’s just courtesy. This method gets a 5 out of 5! Why? Because I don’t have to do it all!!!

Idea #5: Loosey Goosey

This idea is another slow one and not totally my favorite. This is simply the idea of moving, for example, one piece of furniture at a time with all its accompanying contents. For example, when moving a dresser, one would simply throw the contents of the dresser into a suitcase, pack the dresser into the back of the truck, put the suitcase in the car and move it. On the other end, you put the dresser in place, replace the contents of the dresser and start over with the next piece of furniture. I do not like this method much at all, though I have used it. Overall, I can see the method behind the madness, but this method gets maybe 2 out of 5 stars. 

All in all, moving is a stressful process that I have had to do more times than I care to recount. However, moving does provide an excellent opportunity to organize EVERYTHING and to get rid of a bunch of stuff, both of which I enjoy. I try to see the bright side. Happy moving!

Until next week, 

Mrs. Ashley Seguin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving over a hot stov

Museum or Landfill: The science behind clutter

Good morning Friends! Today I want to talk about getting rid of clutter: the why and the ever-so practical how. Why should I get rid of clutter. Psychology Today poses 4 reasons to get rid of clutter. 1. Your Home feels like your enemy. Your home is supposed to feel like a refuge. It should be a place where you can relax and unwind. Clutter absolutely destroys that feeling in your home. I know from personal experience that a cluttered house is stressful. Home was yet another load on the to do list, rather than a place to go to escape the chaos of the world. Having a clutter-free or at least a low-clutter home will contribute to your peace of mind. 2. It can kill your diet. If nothing else gets you, this one should. I know so many people set a New Years Resolution to date healthy and then in a moment of weakness at the grocery store, grab that bag of half price candy from the holidays. I am not innocent of this by any means. But a study at Cornell University showed that peo