Skip to main content

How to Organize for Taxes

Good morning Friends! It’s our favorite time of the year!!! Tax season. (Cue the moans and groans and drop in my readership). This blog is being written in response to the question I posted on Facebook about 2 weeks ago. (FB: Ashley Seguin).

Tax season can be a beast, especially if you are self-employed or have more than one job (side-hustles included). Growing up, my dad was self-employed most years. So, every year, my sister and I got to do (super-fun) volunteer work helping him get ready for tax season.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a CPA. This blog is not tax advice; it is advice for organizing for taxes. In no way, can this blog or its writer be held responsible for your tax issues. Talk to your CPAs.

Now that I have covered my butt legally, let’s get into a few tips for organizing tax documents.

First of all, make a list of all the tax documents you need. If you are an employee, you will need a series of pages that are very different from those who are self-employed. College students will also need to wait for 1098-T forms, which list grants, scholarships and loans. Staple your master list to the outside of a Manila envelope. As the forms come in, slip them into this envelope and check it off the list. Once you have all of them, you can proceed to do your own taxes or enlist your CPA.

Second, keep your receipts. If you are self-employed, this is VITAL! Mileage costs, hotel fees, business clothing, lunch and coffee meetings, and even a piece of your mortgage can all be labeled as business expenses. If you use a room in your house as a home office (that you actually operate out of), measure it and calculate that square footage as a business expense. If you want to take it one step further, keep two separate envelopes, one for your business receipts and one for your personal expenses. I would advise keeping each month in a different envelope as well. (So 24 envelopes). When tax season rolls around, scan in those receipts.

Third, keep track of your donations. If you’re self-employed particularly, donation to charity can be huge tax write-offs. I don’t just mean monetary donations, either. If you get rid of clothes or furniture or whatever else, Turbo Tax has a feature where you can put in the estimated value of the donation and receive a write-off.

There are several different systems you can use to organize as well. You could use an envelope system, a digital system, or whatever system works for you. I personally have always used the envelope system, and it works just fine since taxes seem to be the last thing that will ever go digital.

Double check for yourself how many years you should store your tax documents. I have found it easiest to store those documents in a hanging file in a bankers box labeled with the year.

Once you have submitted your taxes, print out the confirmation and tuck that into the envelope. If you file extensions do the same. Notate what documents you receive to keep track of them. Really, tax season is all about being intentional and not procrastinating. Don’t wait until the last minute. Don’t just stack the documents you get on a junk shelf in the kitchen until they get splattered with grease and you lose them.

Note: Another effective method for organization is a crate system. Buy some hanging file folders.
Use a cheap plastic crate as your active tax file cabinet. This should help keep everything fairly easy to access and neat.

I hope this blog has been even slightly helpful. If you have an y questions or a topic you would like me to blog on, send me a comment or message me through my Facebook page.

Until next week,

Mrs. Ashley Seguin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Ways to Organize for Moving

Good morning Friends! As we speak I am taking a brief break from unpacking endless moving boxes.  Such fun! Sarcasm aside, it got me thinking that keeping your moving organized would be a fantastic blog topic. So, without further ado, here are my 5 Ideas for staying organized while moving. Idea #1: Keep a manifest (like an inventory log) When my family moved from North Carolina to Idaho (long story), we labeled all of our boxes with a number. In a notebook, we wrote down what was in Box #1, then Box #2, then Box #3, etc. You could also wait to number the boxes until after you have determined which are the most essential to the most non-essential, and then use the numbers as a rank-order system. Personally, unless you’re trekking across the country in a 20 year old, salt-eaten Ford Expedition toting a 6x10 trailer with ALL your family’s belongings (like I said, long story), then I think this method is a little TOO organized. And that is coming from someone who writes blogs about

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving over a hot stov

Museum or Landfill: The science behind clutter

Good morning Friends! Today I want to talk about getting rid of clutter: the why and the ever-so practical how. Why should I get rid of clutter. Psychology Today poses 4 reasons to get rid of clutter. 1. Your Home feels like your enemy. Your home is supposed to feel like a refuge. It should be a place where you can relax and unwind. Clutter absolutely destroys that feeling in your home. I know from personal experience that a cluttered house is stressful. Home was yet another load on the to do list, rather than a place to go to escape the chaos of the world. Having a clutter-free or at least a low-clutter home will contribute to your peace of mind. 2. It can kill your diet. If nothing else gets you, this one should. I know so many people set a New Years Resolution to date healthy and then in a moment of weakness at the grocery store, grab that bag of half price candy from the holidays. I am not innocent of this by any means. But a study at Cornell University showed that peo