Skip to main content

Creating a Daily Routine

Good morning Friends!

Right now the United States is in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, and in the last few days, the world has felt upended. I thought about posting a more humorous post about how to plan for the end of the world, but then felt that the current subject was actually more appropriate for the situation.

Some background. I am currently in my final semester of college as an education major, which means I am engaged currently in clinical teaching. Over my spring break, the world fell apart, school has been suspended for a second week, my university has moved to online classes, and my plans have been thrown out the window. You see, this semester is carefully laid out to meet the expectations of the Texas Education Agency and finalize my certification to become a teacher. In palpable terms, what that means is I have to get 70 days in the classroom before I can graduate and get my teaching certificate. What that also means is that the coronavirus has interrupted my very carefully laid out semester. The only thought that has kept me from internally freaking out is that this is SO much bigger than me, and all I have to do is follow the instructions I am given. That thought has been liberating.

But here’s my real challenge now- routine. I, and most other humans, are creatures of habit. For example, during block 1 of clinical teaching, my day followed a very precise schedule, and every day for 8 weeks followed that same schedule. I had a carefully laid out plan for the week of Spring Break, but with its extension, and therefore the subsequent postponement of Block 2, my schedule was once again upended. There is so much still in question currently. Will schools even open back up? Will they open up in time for us to graduate? Will TEA adapt or will clinical teachers across the state of Texas bear the burden of finishing 70 days? So many questions, and no answers. And no one has answers. This is so much bigger than any of us. We are in a state of being forced to adapt to the world instead of the world adapting to us. So I create routine.

I sat down yesterday and built out a plan for this unexpected extra week, with the possibility that this routine could continue somewhat indefinitely or it could change in the blink of an eye. The point is, I have the path I will be walking for the time being, and that gives me some level of at least feeling like I have some control during this time of uncertainty.

So, enough of my sob story. Without further ado, here are my three tips for putting together a daily routine.

#1: Spend some time writing down what your ideal life would look like. Don’t be logical and practical here. This is the place for dreams to begin manifest into reality. Are you working out 5 days a week? Are you a blogger? Are you meal prepped every week? Do you stay at home or work? Write it down. The ideal version of your day.

#2: Determine what you can do now to start reaching for those goals. If you want to O’Leary a new language, is there something you can do every day to contribute to that goal. For example, I have been using Duolingo every morning for 270 days to learn Hebrew. It is 5-15 minutes every day, and you’ll be amazed how fast you’ll start to pick up new words. Are you wanting to be more emotionally self-aware? Start a daily journal, and do it at the same time each day. Write down your thoughts and feelings, things you struggled with, things that made you happy, and things that just rubbed you the wrong way. Write down your reactions and the consequences. Then make a gratitude list of five things and re-write your goals every single day. Are you trying to reach for physical fitness? Set aside a time, however much you have to workout 3-5 days a week.

Here’s what my morning routine looks like: I wake up at 5 am, grab my coffee, sit down and immediately do my Duolingo lesson. Then I read my Bible, using a “Read the Bible in a year” plan on the YouVersion app. Then I get out my journal, write my one- page of thoughts and feelings and such, my list of five things I am grateful for, and my goals (which I write as if they have already happened). When I achieve a goal, I replace it with the next one and keep going. The journal is just a daily reminder of your focus. Then I get dressed and eat breakfast and ordinarily go to the school where I have been clinical teaching. This week, however, I do a workout, since I can’t go to the gym, and then I blog.

#3: Always have a routine. Sometimes schedules just upend themselves and you have to adapt. This week with the coronavirus is one prime example. The first thing I did was double check commitments, expectations, and engagements. Those that were canceled were noted. Those that were not canceled stayed on the calendar. Then I designed a routine with that in mind. And I know I say this about everything, but WRITE IT DOWN! All the hard brain work that goes into creating routines is wasted if you cannot remember what it was the next morning. Writing it down will also give you something to guide your day, even if not every nuance of the day goes exactly as written.

Again, friends, planning, routines, and organization are practices, not personalities. With some effort, anyone can build a routine, and you will be amazed how much more you will accomplish and how much more motivated you will be as you move through your routines. It is so much better than feeling like you’re just floating wherever the wind decides to take you. (Personal opinion).

Until next week,

Mrs. Ashley Seguin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Ways to Organize for Moving

Good morning Friends! As we speak I am taking a brief break from unpacking endless moving boxes.  Such fun! Sarcasm aside, it got me thinking that keeping your moving organized would be a fantastic blog topic. So, without further ado, here are my 5 Ideas for staying organized while moving. Idea #1: Keep a manifest (like an inventory log) When my family moved from North Carolina to Idaho (long story), we labeled all of our boxes with a number. In a notebook, we wrote down what was in Box #1, then Box #2, then Box #3, etc. You could also wait to number the boxes until after you have determined which are the most essential to the most non-essential, and then use the numbers as a rank-order system. Personally, unless you’re trekking across the country in a 20 year old, salt-eaten Ford Expedition toting a 6x10 trailer with ALL your family’s belongings (like I said, long story), then I think this method is a little TOO organized. And that is coming from someone who writes blogs about

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving over a hot stov

Museum or Landfill: The science behind clutter

Good morning Friends! Today I want to talk about getting rid of clutter: the why and the ever-so practical how. Why should I get rid of clutter. Psychology Today poses 4 reasons to get rid of clutter. 1. Your Home feels like your enemy. Your home is supposed to feel like a refuge. It should be a place where you can relax and unwind. Clutter absolutely destroys that feeling in your home. I know from personal experience that a cluttered house is stressful. Home was yet another load on the to do list, rather than a place to go to escape the chaos of the world. Having a clutter-free or at least a low-clutter home will contribute to your peace of mind. 2. It can kill your diet. If nothing else gets you, this one should. I know so many people set a New Years Resolution to date healthy and then in a moment of weakness at the grocery store, grab that bag of half price candy from the holidays. I am not innocent of this by any means. But a study at Cornell University showed that peo