Skip to main content

When Life just doesn’t Follow the Plan

Good morning friends! Little update: this last month has been INSANE for me. I started my final semester of college. I have been clinical teaching for the past 5 weeks. We had a last push to finish the house we’ve been building so we could move in before our apartment lease was up. And we moved. The last three weeks have been a whirlwind of trying really hard to develop to a new normal.

That’s really what I want to address in this blog. Sometimes, life just throws you for a loop. My sanity has been tested in more ways than one in the last few weeks. I promised my self when I started this blog that I would post one a week, so I worked hard before the move to have four or five blogs scheduled to go out so I didn’t have to touch them during this crazy season. But last week, I just didn’t have time. And sometimes that happens.

So this week I want to give us permission. If you’ve ever heard of the Enneagram, I am an Enneagram Type 1. I am a gold on the color test; a Type A personality if there was ever a Type A personality. If that is all Greek to you, here’s what that means in plain English. I am an obsessive planner. I hate, hate, HATE when people mess with my schedule. I don’t like surprises, outside of romantic ones. I don’t like people even who just go through life like its all hunky-dory and meant for their pleasure. Structure and order are to me symbols of Godliness. They provide life with a certain predictability, with a way to put it in a nice, neat little box with no surprises. (P.S. It’s the people who turn my box into a Jack-in-the-box that drive me up the wall.)

So, my personality is uber-structured and no fun, and that can be fine and dandy in certain situations. But when life decides to go crazy, the shortfalls of my personality really begin to shine through. I struggle with not being in control of my day- with feeling like the day owns me instead of me owning my day. I can last a few days, but eventually I will have a full emotional breakdown.

One of the big things I have had to face in the last several weeks is that I am not in control, and that’s okay. I have had to give myself permission to just not have it all together yet. I have had to let go of a certain amount of control.

So for those of you who give yourself grief when the dishes just didn’t get done today, it’s okay. Life will keep going. Yes, you may feel out of control, but guess what, you’re not in control anyway. My incessant planning is a way of providing me an illusion of control. It allows me to have some semblance of order in a chaotic world. But, in reality, the amount of our world we actually control is so small.

Weeks like this can be a good reminder not only of the fact that we are not in control, but of who is in control. A lot of my coping in the last few weeks has been to just breathe deep, get some space and remember who is actually in control. This is a season, and seasons come and go. Life happens, and the strongest people are those who are roll with the punches.

So go out there and roll with the punches, my friends! Have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Ways to Organize for Moving

Good morning Friends! As we speak I am taking a brief break from unpacking endless moving boxes.  Such fun! Sarcasm aside, it got me thinking that keeping your moving organized would be a fantastic blog topic. So, without further ado, here are my 5 Ideas for staying organized while moving. Idea #1: Keep a manifest (like an inventory log) When my family moved from North Carolina to Idaho (long story), we labeled all of our boxes with a number. In a notebook, we wrote down what was in Box #1, then Box #2, then Box #3, etc. You could also wait to number the boxes until after you have determined which are the most essential to the most non-essential, and then use the numbers as a rank-order system. Personally, unless you’re trekking across the country in a 20 year old, salt-eaten Ford Expedition toting a 6x10 trailer with ALL your family’s belongings (like I said, long story), then I think this method is a little TOO organized. And that is coming from someone who writes blogs about

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving over a hot stov

Museum or Landfill: The science behind clutter

Good morning Friends! Today I want to talk about getting rid of clutter: the why and the ever-so practical how. Why should I get rid of clutter. Psychology Today poses 4 reasons to get rid of clutter. 1. Your Home feels like your enemy. Your home is supposed to feel like a refuge. It should be a place where you can relax and unwind. Clutter absolutely destroys that feeling in your home. I know from personal experience that a cluttered house is stressful. Home was yet another load on the to do list, rather than a place to go to escape the chaos of the world. Having a clutter-free or at least a low-clutter home will contribute to your peace of mind. 2. It can kill your diet. If nothing else gets you, this one should. I know so many people set a New Years Resolution to date healthy and then in a moment of weakness at the grocery store, grab that bag of half price candy from the holidays. I am not innocent of this by any means. But a study at Cornell University showed that peo