Skip to main content

How to Stay Organized in College


Good morning friends! I am in my final semester of college, and I am so excited! I graduate in May! If there is anything I know about succeeding in college, it is that organization is absolutely essential. Not being organized is collegiate suicide, and it is one of the biggest things I see college students struggle with. To be fair, being organized in college requires a certain amount of self-control and responsibility. Those who are organized but procrastinate have set themselves up for failure. So, I thought I might share a few of my own strategies for getting organized in college.

1. Get in front of it. Preparation should begin before the semester begins. Print out the syllabus and schedule for each class, and order the book weeks in advance. This way you will be prepared for classes, but you can also make sure that no assignments are due on the first day of class. Be prepared that some professors like to do that, and sometimes the amount of material demands it. Also, an added benefit is that coming to class on the first day really impresses your professors and sets you up for success. Generally professors will work with you if you work with them, so first impressions are important. (Here’s a really good link that compares different textbook websites: https://www.slugbooks.com/ )

2. Put it in a planner. One of the biggest things I do to prepare my mind for a semester of college is write every assignment in my planner. I like day planners. Monthly planners just don’t give me enough room. I like to color code, using a different pen color for each class. I also coordinate notebook colors to the pen colors for each class. Yes, I know- somewhat obsessive, but it really does help. Go through those syllabi and schedules and notate every assignment in the planner. This includes textbook readings, papers, tests and quizzes, discussion boards, and class discussions. There may be others, but this is most of what I have run across in my four years. 

3. Break down major assignments. Papers and tests are HUGE. I handle a paper in tiny baby steps that make it much easier to swallow. I use a separate sheet of paper to work out the details. Here’s a sample:

Due Date: 6 weeks 
Steps: 
Topic Selection (1 day)
Tertiary Sources (1 day)
Secondary Sources (3 days)
Thesis ( 1 day) 
Primary Sources (5-7 days)
Outline (1 day)
First Draft (1 day)
Edit first draft (2 days) 
Second Draft ( 1 draft)
Edit Second Draft (2 days)
Final Draft (1 day)
Works Cited (1 day)
Final Edit (1 day)

I can feasibly do the first three steps in the one week, the next two steps the second week, the outline, first draft and editing of the first draft the third week, the second draft, editing and final draft the fourth week, and works cited and final edit the fifth week. Now I have an extra week to make up any lost time or to absorb any unplanned events like getting sick or having to go home for an emergency. 

4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. As a writing tutor in college, I had so many people come to me the night before a major assignment was due and ask me to help them get started on it. THE NIGHT BEFORE IT WAS DUE! Why? Because they didn’t know how to get started. Valid concern; however, if they had come to me when the assignment was originally assigned, they would not have had to cram it in the night before. And like it or not, I don’t care how good of a writer you think you are- nothing is as good as it could be if you cram it in the night before. Which bearings me to tip #5. 

5. Never ever cram; and do not over-study. Yes that is possible. If you followed step 1, you’ll know when a test is coming up, and you can begin studying way in advance. Study small chunks for thirty minutes to an hour every day for the week before the test.  Not before...you’ll lose the information. Not later...there’s too much information to cram. Not more than an hour...your brain can only absorb so much at a time. This should also be good quality study time. I have watched college students claim to study for six hours, but most of that time they would read a page and then spend twenty minutes on their phones. The moment you pull the phone out in a study session, you might as well start over. I like to set a timer for one hour on my phone and then leave it int he kitchen or somewhere out of my convenient reach. Then I commit to good quality study for that hour. It flies by, believe it or not. 

6. Be aware of your grades. Most colleges and universities and even high schools now have some kind of online portal that allows you to keep track of your assignments. My schools used Canvas, but others use Blackboard, and there may be other portals. Always know what assignments are coming up and what your running grade is. 

College is not difficult if you are intentional and focused about it. Don’t let assignments get ahead of you, don’t be afraid to ask for help, never cram and try to stay on top of it. I wish you success friends. 

Until next week! 

Mrs. Ashley Seguin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Ways to Organize for Moving

Good morning Friends! As we speak I am taking a brief break from unpacking endless moving boxes.  Such fun! Sarcasm aside, it got me thinking that keeping your moving organized would be a fantastic blog topic. So, without further ado, here are my 5 Ideas for staying organized while moving. Idea #1: Keep a manifest (like an inventory log) When my family moved from North Carolina to Idaho (long story), we labeled all of our boxes with a number. In a notebook, we wrote down what was in Box #1, then Box #2, then Box #3, etc. You could also wait to number the boxes until after you have determined which are the most essential to the most non-essential, and then use the numbers as a rank-order system. Personally, unless you’re trekking across the country in a 20 year old, salt-eaten Ford Expedition toting a 6x10 trailer with ALL your family’s belongings (like I said, long story), then I think this method is a little TOO organized. And that is coming from someone who writes blogs about

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving over a hot stov

Museum or Landfill: The science behind clutter

Good morning Friends! Today I want to talk about getting rid of clutter: the why and the ever-so practical how. Why should I get rid of clutter. Psychology Today poses 4 reasons to get rid of clutter. 1. Your Home feels like your enemy. Your home is supposed to feel like a refuge. It should be a place where you can relax and unwind. Clutter absolutely destroys that feeling in your home. I know from personal experience that a cluttered house is stressful. Home was yet another load on the to do list, rather than a place to go to escape the chaos of the world. Having a clutter-free or at least a low-clutter home will contribute to your peace of mind. 2. It can kill your diet. If nothing else gets you, this one should. I know so many people set a New Years Resolution to date healthy and then in a moment of weakness at the grocery store, grab that bag of half price candy from the holidays. I am not innocent of this by any means. But a study at Cornell University showed that peo