Skip to main content

How to Organize a Project

Good Morning Friends!!!

I must attribute this blog idea to my husband. I posted a question of Facebook: If you wish one thing in your life was organized, what would it be? His answer: My construction project! For those of you who don’t know, there is a massive backstory to this “project.” After we got married, my husband insisted that he wanted to build our first house. I am not naturally an adventure-seeker, so I was not 100% on board with this idea at first. I knew it would be a logistical nightmare, and my ability to help would be severely limited. But he persisted, and I gave in. (He’s just too cute!) This process has a been a 10-month insane learning curve- not just learning how to physically do the tasks, but how to trust my husband through things I have never dealt with before.

All that established, I decided to write a blog on how to organize for a large and overwhelming project- or just a normal project...not everybody builds a house!

1. The first thing you need to determine is the due date. Human beings seem to work better under pressure, for some reason. So, if you don’t have a natural due date, create one. In our case, this is our closing date. For you, it may be Friday or the end of the month, or whatever. Just find a due date and set it on your calendar.

2. Make a list of EVERYTHING that you need to accomplish to finish the project. EVERYTHING!!!
If it’s writing a book, set how many pages you want it to be and create a preliminary outline. If it’s building a house, write down tile and grout and walls and ceiling and electrical and this list could go on and on and on.

3. Set a timeframe for each item. Be generous. My husband has a terrible habit of underestimating how long something will take him. The tile in the shower was supposed to take 2 days. Instead it took 8. Oy! It is better to overestimate than underestimate. In many projects, the timeline isn’t about how long something takes as much as how long you choose to invest in it every day. In those cases, just know how much you can get done in that time period and establish how many of those time periods you need to complete the project.

4. Know your materials and order them. We have wasted so much time over the last 10 months going to Home Depot 20,000 times a week (okay maybe not 20,000 but it felt that way). We could have saved so much time just ordering large amounts of materials all at once.

5. Write it down!!! You can think about it all day, but the most well-laid plans are simply daydreams until they’re on paper. (Or digital).

6. Stick to it. This is the hardest part because it requires self-discipline and perseverance. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any tips for building your character up. Set reminders to do the task. Do it at the same time every day. Make it a habit. Other than that, this part is up to you.


Until next week!

Mrs. Ashley Seguin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 At Home Date Night Ideas for Married Couples

Good morning friends! We are beginning week 6 now of quarantine. I’m sure nobody really thought it would last this long. I know I didn’t. As we continue in this new normal, one of the biggest struggles has been what to do with all this time. I’ve written blogs on organizing and fun ideas, but at a certain point, we just have too much time on our hands. My husband and I have made a point since we started dating to have a date night every week. It has carried into our almost three year marriage, and we hold to it religiously. I genuinely believe that our marriage would not be nearly as strong as it is without these weekly date nights. But, as with everything else recently, date nights have suffered fro the quarantine. Don’t get me wrong, we still have date night, but there’s only so many weeks in a row that you can watch a movie and eat fun foods before it gets a little old. So I thought I would make a list of 10 stay at home date night ideas. Who knows? Maybe by the time we do all...

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving o...

How to Plan a Vacation

Good Morning Friends! It is now week 2 of the national quarantine from COVID-19. Fun times! People all over the United States are having to learn new skills. Parents, who now have to homeschool are developing a new appreciation for teachers. Grocery store clerks are continuously putting themselves in the line of fire. People are slowing down a little and smelling the roses. My husband and I were finally able to finish this house. It’s done! And it is beautiful. Ironically, this dark time has become one of real positive changes. But, with all the positives that we as a culture are seeing, it can be really boring to be at home all day. I mean, seriously, there’s only so much binge-watching Netflix or at-home workouts or reading you can do. So, I thought what better way to mentally survive a quarantine than to dream up some big, beautiful family vacation! So, for grins and giggles, let’s plan a vacation. FYI: This would be a great family activity. Get the kids together and brainst...