Skip to main content

Budgeting Is Not Rocket Science

Good morning friends! We are halfway through January, which means two things: taxes and budgeting. I am not a CPA by any stretch of the imagination, so I’m not going to talk much about taxes. However, budgeting is something anyone can do and that I have been doing since my first allowance when I was 7 years old. Everyone and their cousin has an opinion about budgeting. There’s the Dave Ramsey way and the 50 20 30 rule and values-based budgeting. The real trick though is to find something that works for you. If you have a ton of debt, you probably need to work paying that off into the budget. Right now my husband and I are under about $40,000 in school loans between the two of us and the loan we took out to build our house. So, its a pretty safe bet that we will be focusing in on paying off some debt this year.

What if you’re debt-free? Congratulations, by the way, you super star! Then obviously you don’t need to focus on debt, but where is that money going? Are you trying to save up for a trip or a new car or even something smaller like the new iPhone? Are you stashing it away in an investment account? It’s just as important that you know where your money is going.

Personally, I think the point of budgeting is just to be intentional about where the money goes. Maybe you’ve had that friend, or maybe you’ve been that person who gets the hard-earned paycheck and rewards herself with a trip through the Chick-Fil-A drive thru and then goes out to drinks with friends and then maybe buys that cute dress you’ve been eyeing at Old Navy. And then, three days in to your next two-week pay period, the money has seemingly evaporated, and you had no clue until your debit card was denied at the grocery store. I personally know far too many people in this boat, and it’s a self-perpetuating cycle.

The idea of budgeting is simply to know where the money goes at first and then to gain some control over where it goes. So, really this blog is meant for my first time budgeters out there. Here are my tips. I am a natural organizer and planner, if you can’t already tell from the name of the blog. I have been planning out where my money goes since I was 7. Now, that might mean that it went to a new pack of gum or a new game for my GameBoy color. (I totally just dated myself). It might occasionally mean that I managed to save up enough to buy something slightly larger, but more often than not, one week’s allowance just barely lasted the week. I was 7, dude, give me a break! At least I knew where the money was going. I used the envelope system, which my dad introduced me to. (By the way, if you have kids, this is a super simple and fantastic way to teach money management). Every week, I was given $7. Per the household rule, a tenth ($.70) went to tithe, although you can totally give that money to a charity of your choice. Another $3 went into my savings envelope, and the rest was mine to spend (so, like $3.30). That’s a fortune for a 7 year old.

Fast forward to now and I still use a variant of the envelope system. It works great even now; it’s simple and easy to use. I just have a lot more “envelopes.” There are ways to do this system digitally as well as with paper money. The point is to gain some control over where the money goes.

Alright so you don’t like the envelope system. That fine. Here’s the low down on several other super popular types of budgeting.


  • Values Budgeting: Basically this type of budgeting reroutes your disposable income (the money you have left after rent and bills and groceries) to things that make you happy. For example, if you love travel, then why is half your disposable income going to swinging through the drive thru instead of saving for a cruise? Basically it’s putting the money where your heart is. 
  • Debt Budgeting: This type of budgeting reroutes disposable income to paying off debt (my husband and I will be hanging out in this realm for a bit). There are all sorts of guides out there for paying off debt, so I am not even going to spend time on that. 
  • Investment budgeting: This type reroutes your disposable income to some sort of investment account, be that a high-interest savings account, a stock portfolio, or a 401K (etc). Again there are endless ways to invest money, and I am no expert, so I am not going to spend time here.
Basically, these types of budgets are there to pay the bills and reroute the disposable income to the things you value most, which begs the question of what you value most. Being debt-free? Taking a vacation in Hawaii for your anniversary? OR just small things like a weekend spa retreat or a new laptop or a fancy dinner somewhere? You and only you can answer that question, and you have to do that before you can really start budgeting. 

My quick budget recommendations: 
  • Figure out how much you make each pay period. Write that number down.
  • Figure out your expenses and write those amounts down. Are they consistent each month or do they change month to month?
    • Rent
    • Utilities
    • Doctors Visits
    • Groceries (See my Meal Planning Blog for more details)
    • Any other expenses
  • Subtract expenses from paycheck
  • What you have left over = disposable income
  • Figure out what you value most (see above)
  • Put the money towards those things
  • P.S. If you are in a relationship, I recommend budgeting for date nights. (If you are married, this is even more important). 
Budgeting is like the furthest thing from rocket science. It’s just like dieting. Calories in much be less than calories out. Money in must be more than money out. Simple. as. that.

Until Next week, 

Mrs. Ashley Seguin



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Ways to Organize for Moving

Good morning Friends! As we speak I am taking a brief break from unpacking endless moving boxes.  Such fun! Sarcasm aside, it got me thinking that keeping your moving organized would be a fantastic blog topic. So, without further ado, here are my 5 Ideas for staying organized while moving. Idea #1: Keep a manifest (like an inventory log) When my family moved from North Carolina to Idaho (long story), we labeled all of our boxes with a number. In a notebook, we wrote down what was in Box #1, then Box #2, then Box #3, etc. You could also wait to number the boxes until after you have determined which are the most essential to the most non-essential, and then use the numbers as a rank-order system. Personally, unless you’re trekking across the country in a 20 year old, salt-eaten Ford Expedition toting a 6x10 trailer with ALL your family’s belongings (like I said, long story), then I think this method is a little TOO organized. And that is coming from someone who writes blogs about

5 Meal Prepping Tips For the Beginner

Good Morning Friends!  I don’t know about the rest of you, but I am so excited that this quarantine is over. OF course, things are to back to 100% normal, but they will be. This week, I really wanted to focus on meal prepping. We’ve talked about meal planning before in  Meal Planning for the Average Woman  blog, but Ive never discussed meal prepping. I also got a bunch of questions this week for tips on meal prepping, so I thought I would provide some of my tricks. First, before you start anything else, you need to know this: Meal prepping is not rocket science. It is simply intentionality. It requires you to think through what you want to eat long prior to the panicked half hour before dinner. It is not difficult, and it definitely does not have to be elaborate. There are some super simple ways to make meal prep so much easier on yourself. When I first started meal prepping, it took me all day on Sunday. Obviously I didn’t want to spend my entire Sunday slaving over a hot stov

Museum or Landfill: The science behind clutter

Good morning Friends! Today I want to talk about getting rid of clutter: the why and the ever-so practical how. Why should I get rid of clutter. Psychology Today poses 4 reasons to get rid of clutter. 1. Your Home feels like your enemy. Your home is supposed to feel like a refuge. It should be a place where you can relax and unwind. Clutter absolutely destroys that feeling in your home. I know from personal experience that a cluttered house is stressful. Home was yet another load on the to do list, rather than a place to go to escape the chaos of the world. Having a clutter-free or at least a low-clutter home will contribute to your peace of mind. 2. It can kill your diet. If nothing else gets you, this one should. I know so many people set a New Years Resolution to date healthy and then in a moment of weakness at the grocery store, grab that bag of half price candy from the holidays. I am not innocent of this by any means. But a study at Cornell University showed that peo